Thursday, April 23, 2009

"Formal" living room Before and After

When we first moved in, I liked the red accent wall that the sellers had. I thought it was perfect since we already had a red couch and accessories. Heck, red is probably my favorite color! However once we moved in and got our furniture in, I just wasn't digging it. The room was just too dark and heavy. So, I was thinking of a color to brighten it up, that worked with my red couch. A little light bulb went off in my head and I thought gray, if done right, would give me just the look I was going for. I was surprised that it didn't take anything to sway Jim, who was also not feeling what we refer to as the "peanut butter" colored walls and the red wall. YAY!

So, I set out and after looking at probably 50 different gray color swatches, I chose Benjamin Moore's "Stonington Gray". It's such a great color name, because it makes me think of Jim's parents....they live near Stonington, CT!


So, here is the big "before" pic. Red accent wall on the left, "peanut butter" everywhere else...including the trim!
Here is a nice shot of the chairs against the red wall...

Now here is the after......with new WHITE trim!!!!!!

I moved the furniture around a little and found these awesome throw pillows that pick up the colors in the painting above the couch at Target. Also new curtains... well, sort of. New rod and sheers. I bought some new red grommet top panels, but they were too short. These were the red curtains we had in our last rental. I think they work just fine!

Before: couch against "peanut butter" wall...





After: Just a chair. OK, this wall needs some work. Maybe a new side table? Oh and looking at this pic makes me realize I need to lower that painting a little!

Before: View when you first walk in...

After: A whole new look!

I have to say, this is a big transformation! Lots of work too...I'm STILL (13 days later) working on painting the trim in the hallway! The realities of painting when you have young kids, I guess! There are still things I would like do to the room...or stuff to buy, I should say!

-New rug, this one was the sellers and I'm not a huge fan.

-New chairs (or better yet, all new furniture). These chairs are just some cheapies we got from Target a few years ago. If you were to get a closer look, you would see all the stains on them. They just look dingy!

-New throw pillows to brighten up the chairs in the meantime.

-Maybe a side table or small shelf for next to the lone chair. That little area needs some pizazz!

-New lamp, plus a floor lamp. I had that little leopard print lamp since college! Haha!

-Repaint the front door. Now that I painted the trim a nice bright white, it looks dingy

-Install crown mouldings.

5 comments:

Bob Hines said...

Jennifer, I posted a comment the other day and I just realized that I posted on a mid Feb entry. So, I'll post it again to bump it up. Jennifer, what a great house, family and blog. Hello from a distant branch of the family tree here in Florida. I check your blog frequently and always enjoy it. What impresses me most, is your photographic skills. I noted that you said you enjoy photography but have much to learn. I'm an old retired geezer but my working career was as a photographer and public affairs professional. I learned that you can teach someone the technical aspects of photography and composition but you can't teach someone the artistic vision that permits a photographer to capture something special in an image. Very few folks that look through a viewfinder have it. You HAVE that artistic vision. Your photography tells a story without words -- and your journalistic skills aren't bad either. Find other outlets for your photographic skills. I believe you have the ability to turn your love of photography into income if you choose to do so. Say hello to nephew Jim for me. Sorry for the long post. Old farts are long winded. Bob Hines, Fleming Island Florida

Tara said...

Definitely prefer the gray! It looks really good with your red furniture. I want to get a couple of rooms painted in our house, but we want to put in a wood floor and patio first. The joys of owning a home, always looking for some project :)

Tara said...

I agree with the above poster. I think your photos are great. You always capture Aidan and Addie expressions perfectly.

Jennifer said...

Bob, that is very kind of you! I do (at least sort of, through Jim) know who you are. Thank you for the kind words and encouragement! That means a lot, as I often find myself struggling with the technical aspects! I am hoping to one day go into business. I'm going to be doing a few "sessions" this summer to help me learn and see if I have what it takes.

Very nice to hear from you!

Tara, As always, I appreciate the comments! I'm quickly learning that home ownership is a LOT of work! Haha! I guess there's always room for improvement! Thank you!

Kelly said...

Jen, it looks awesome!! I love everything you've done with your house. Thanks for keeping us updated :-)

Analytics

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a stay at home mom of two kids. Life is sometimes quite busy to say the least! In the little spare time I have, I've been learning a bit of photography. I have sooo much to learn, but I really, really enjoy it. I also enjoy my time at the gym. Not only does it help keep me centered (as possible), I'm slowly getting back to my pre-pregnancy weight! I am married to my wonderful husband, Jim. We've been married for close to five years! It's so hard to believe how fast these years have flown! We all live together in suburban Detroit, along with our dog, Zoe and our cat, Telly!